- What’s in this policy?
This policy tells you:
- What information we might collect about you
- How we might use that information
- When we might use your details to contact you
- What information of yours we might share with others
- Your choices about the personal information you give us
- What does this policy cover?
This policy covers the services that are offered by UrbanGist Media. And sometimes it covers other services offered by our organisation and social media pages.
What’s not covered in this policy?
Our services sometimes link to services run by other companies. Those companies have their own privacy and cookies policies, so remember that the information you give them will follow their rules and not ours.
- How do you protect my personal information?
We’re strongly committed to keeping you and your family’s information safe. And to do this we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after your information security and privacy.
At the same time, no service can be completely secure – if you have any concerns that your personal information has been put at risk, for example if someone could have found out your password, please get in touch straight away.
Where we store your information
Some companies that provide services to us run their services from outside Nigeria/the European Economic Area. We only let that happen if we are satisfied with their levels of security. Keep in mind that when you give us personal information it could be transferred, stored or processed in a location outside Nigeria/Africa/the EEA.
- What types of personal information does UrbanGist Media collect about me?
We’ll give details about why we need your personal information and how we’ll use it before you begin, unless it’s obvious.
- Information that you give to us
We might ask for your name and contact details or your date of birth, depending on what you’re doing. If you apply to take part in a programme on politics, for example, we might ask you about your political opinions. This could include information in a creation you share with us such as people’s names that appear in the creation.
- Device information
- Your computer
- Your mobile
- Your TV
- Your tablet
- Your voice-enabled device
We automatically collect some technical information from these devices and web browsers even when you’re not signed into a UrbanGist Media account. This might include:
- IP (internet protocol) address
- Device ID
- App ID
- Vendor ID
- Information on your activities outside UrbanGist Media when you talk about us
An example such as UrbanGist Media being mentioned in a Twitter post, your Twitter handle will be collected.
What if I have a UrbanGist Media Account?
When you register for a UrbanGist Media account, or update your details or settings we ask for some personal information, like your email address and age. We also collect information about how you use our services, like the articles you read and the programmes you subscribe to.
- How long will UrbanGist Media keep my personal information?
When you give us any personal information we’ll let you know how long we’ll hold it for. And always stick to these principles:
- We only hold your information for as long as we do the activities we told you about or have a valid reason to keep it.
- We think about what type of information it is, the amount collected, how sensitive it might be and any legal requirements.
- We design our services so that we don’t hold your information any longer than we have to
- We may close your UrbanGist Media account if you haven’t used it in the last year. We’ll send you an email to tell you that we plan to do this before we delete anything, so please check to see if we’ve sent you any emails about this.
- How can UrbanGist Media use my personal information?
We have to have a valid reason to use your personal information. It’s called the “lawful basis for processing“. Sometimes we might ask your permission to do things, like when you subscribe to an email. Other times, when you’d reasonably expect us to use your personal information, we don’t ask your permission, but only when:
- The law says it’s fine to use it, and
- It fits with the rights you have.
We use your information for these types of things:
- To deliver our services and to provide you with information about the.
b. To deal with your requests, complaints and enquiries.
c. To personalise services and give you things more tailored to your tastes
e. To show you relevant advertising on another company’s site.
- How do I control my cookies and tracking?
When you first visit us, we’ll tell you about our cookies and ask you to agree if we can use them. You can always change your mind by going to your settings.
Stopping all cookies might mean you can’t access some UrbanGist Media services, or that some of them might not work properly for you.
Another way to control some tracking is in the settings on your device.
If you see a notification on your browser each time we publish a post, you have subscribed to Push Notifications, while most users enjoy the service, to STOP push notifications, follow the steps below;
- Open your Chrome browser
- Go to settings
- Click on site settings
- Click on Notifications, you will see a list of sites you have subscribed to.
- Click on UrbanGist.com.ng and choose clear and reset
- How will I find out about changes to this policy?
We update this policy sometimes. If we make important changes, like how we use your personal information, we’ll let you know. It might be a notice, an email, or a message in your app.
If you don’t agree to the changes, then you can always stop using our services, delete your account and stop giving us any more personal information. We’d be sorry to see you go.
- How can I contact the UrbanGist Media?